Speak Slowly and Clearly - CALL:
If you are in distress (i.e., when threatened by grave and imminent danger) or are
observing another vessel in distress, transmit the International Distress Call on
channel 16 "MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY THIS IS (state vessel's name and
assigned call letters). Repeat this 3 times.
If aboard a vessel in trouble -- STATE:
If observing another vessel in distress -- GIVE:
- WHO you are. This is your vessel's name and assigned call letters.
- WHERE you are. This is your vessel's position in latitude/longitude or
true bearing and distance in nautical miles from a widely known
geographical point; local names known only in the immediate vicinity
- WHAT is wrong
- Kind of assistance desired
- Number of persons aboard and the condition of any injured
- Present seaworthiness of your vessel
- Description of your vessel (length, type, cabin, masts, power, color of
hull, superstructure and trim)
- Your listening channel and schedule
- Your position and, if possible, the bearing and distance of the vessel in
- Nature of distress
- Description of the vessel in distress (see above)
- Your intentions, course, speed, etc.
- Your radio call sign, name of your vessel, listening channel and schedule